The English Language & Literature Department strives to design effective and engaging programmes that encourage authentic learning while allowing students to apply the language and literary skills learned to real-life settings so that they can confidently use them meaningfully.
The focus of the department’s core curriculum in English Language and Literature in English is a combination of the following teaching and learning strategies and tools:
- Productive Skills: Process Writing, Journalling and Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Receptive Skills: Purposeful Annotation
- Multiliteracies: Multimodal Forms of Linguistic Expression and Representation
- Assessment for Learning: Effective Questioning and Teaching Actions
- The Reading Programme encompasses daily silent reading and reading magazines.
- ‘Recommended Reads’ is a programme that empowers students and enables them to share their favourite books with the school.
- Alternative Assessments for Secondary 1 to 3 students, including non-traditional modes of assessment, like video podcasts and group choral reading.